Thursday, March 6, 2008






















I signed up to take an on-line fiber arts class--my first one ever. It seems that most of the other students have blogs where they post progress on their artwork. So, I thought I'd do same.

This first bunch of pictures I am posting only because we are doing a fiber arts project based on fruits and/or vegetables. About seven years ago someone gave me the book by Diedre Scherer. See her website at http://www.dscherer.com/ She does amazing portraits using fabric, thread and her sewing machine. I was enamored of her thread painting technique for a few months before I realized that it really wasn't for me. I did a few large quilts and started on some smaller root vegetable quilts. But, as you can see, my root vegetables were not exactly amazing--and look worse close up-- (although I do kind of like the carrots) and I have never actually stuck them to a background and they've been sitting in my unfinished project drawer ever since.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I like the vegetables- they remind me of our walls at college!

Mary said...

Amy, these are great! I can see them all combined into a single piece - a still-life type of arrangement, or maybe sticking out of a big pot (for soup)?

Edward and Marian said...

I like them Amy. :)

susan sorrell said...

Amy...I hope these will be used in this class. ;) You can incorporate these in the lessons for the the workshop!!! I love those homely root veggies.
susan
www.creativechick.com